The chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court said Tuesday that the son of Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, the former Libyan leader, along with his co-defendant, Colonel Qaddafi’s onetime military intelligence chief, may be tried in Libya as long as the international court is involved.
It was not immediately clear if the prosecutor’s statement meant the court would have to agree to hand over its cases against the two men to the Libyan authorities, or if international judges would participate in any proceedings inside Libya.
The prosecutor, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, spent Tuesday in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, meeting with officials in the post-Qaddafi government, including the minister of justice, Mohammed al-Allagi. The minister told reporters that Libya would not send Colonel Qaddafi’s son, Seif al-Islam el-Qaddafi, who was once Libya’s heir apparent, to the international court in The Hague for trial. “In a nutshell, we are not going to hand him over,” the minister said.
More details would be disclosed on Wednesday morning in Tripoli, according to a court official in The Hague, after the new government of Libya had been announced.
New York Times